RE: Versions/Translations of the Bible
Starting in 1993, Eugene H. Peterson started publishing The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language. He did this in an attempt to bring the Bible to “updated concepts in modern English”.
I have been quoted scripture from The Message lately, and I have to say that I’m at a loss.. and not much of a fan… so I figured I’d see what my pals at ParanormalQ&A thought about The Message:
1) Have you read scripture from The Message?
2) Do you believe it conveys a similar message as the other translations/versions?
3) Do you have any general comments regarding “idiom translations” when it comes to sacred texts?
To give you an idea on the differences, please see the below comparison of The Lord’s Prayer:
1. GOD, my shepherd! I don’t need a thing.
2. You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from.
3. True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction.
4. Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I’m not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd’s crook makes me feel secure.
King James Version
1. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Asked by Siddle